Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm Tired of Setting the Example

I am the first born in my family, and as such I have spent a lot of time feeling like I should "set the example." Now, mom and dad, before you pick up the cell phone and call me in defense, I don't recall ever being told to do this...I was just compelled. I felt responsible. I think its an oldest-kid thing. Or maybe it is my over-developed guilt complex. Who knows.

But I'm 32 now. My brother and sister are adults, one with a child of her own. And I am sick of setting the good example! I want to have some fun!

I want to sneak out of my house in the middle of the night! And do what? Probably go back inside and get back in bed. I'm tired.

I want to stash liquor under my bed and feign suprise when it is found. (Gasp! How did that get there?)

I want to stay out all night with the wrong crowd and get a (temporary) tattoo.

I want to blow a bunch of money on 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (navy blue with the wood panels and a roof rack like in "What About Bob?").

I want to play hookey from work and go to the beach in my Wagoneer and drink mojitos and not care at all about the empty calories from sugar.

I want to lose something expensive and then not care when it can't be found. Although I already have the losing things part down pretty well....

I want to empty my 401(k) and blow it on a summer home in New England. But at these rates, I could probably only afford a studio apartment...

Anyway, it just occurred to me today that I've been really good for a really long time. I'm ready to make people wonder what got into me.

I'll have to put that on my to-do list. :)

1 comment:

Chief Kitty Herder said...

while there are some things that are inherently irresponsible... ie gambling away your child's college fund... there are other things that are just based on priority. If you want to sneak out, spend money on a vacation home, or whatever.... do it! And enjoy every second of it! Enjoy all the positive consequences, but be prepared to deal with the negative ones too if there are any. Is it more responsible to spend $3000 on a Europe trip or a nice set of crockery and a bedroom suite? Depends. One lasts longer, but one may be once in a lifetime. :) Live wild tonight!Love you!!